If you have bought Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 smartphone with the older operating system Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and want to update it with the newer version then make use of this article. In the internet you may come over with many tutorials to root Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 smartphone, but most of those methods help you to root the older version of the OS, which has been currently blocked by the Samsung.
The newer version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 states the build number as “XXUAMDK” and cannot easily be rooted with the older method. So, here we have given the tutorial to root this version easily. Let’s begin.
1) First ensure that the smartphone you are going to root belongs to the Exynos Version (I9500) and not the Qualcomm version (I9505). You can easily confirm that at the booting screen itself. Otherwise go to “Settings > More>About Device”. Along with the version check the build number and there it should show “XXUAMDK” as the last few digits.
2) Next, you must enable the developer option’s. In the new operating system you cannot see this option visible or enable in the “Settings”. So, click the “About Device” and scroll down until you see the “Build number”. Keep tapping the build number continuously until you see some message informing you that the “Developer option is enabled”. Once done, tap the back button and find the developer options field. Now, just tap on it and enable it with the toggle switch on the top right.
3) After that scroll below to the “Debugging” option and enable the “USB Debugging”. You can also do it by following out tutorial to enable USB Debugging.
4) Next go back to the “Security” options and click on the field “Unknown sources” to allow the third-party applications to be installed.
That’s it! Now your Samsung Galaxy S4 is ready for being rooted.
Instructions To Root Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500:
- First download the Samsung Galaxy S4 driver and install it on your computer, as it is essential for the computer to recognize your phone.
- Next download the Odin which helps you to flash the files to your phone.
- Again download the Adam’s kernel which will be helpful for replacing the Samsung Galaxy S4 kernel. It will also be required for rooting the phone in a single step.
- Next, you need to download the Clockworkmod Recovery which helps you to install flash ROMs on your phone. Further, it helps you to take backups of your existing operating system.
Put Your Phone In Download Mode:
- So, once you download all the files, unzip them and place in a folder.
- Next, switch off your mobile for 15-20 seconds.
- After that, press the “Volume down” key and “Home key” together and while keeping the two keys held down, press the power key.
- Once Samsung logo appears release the button. You will see a message stating that the android phone is in download mode and asking you to continue by pressing the “Volume Up” key.
- Go ahead, after that your phone will be in download mode and ready for being flashed with the new files.
Flashing and Rooting:
- Now, connect your mobile and the PC with the help of USB cable. If you have installed the required USB drivers, the connection will be spontaneous. Or else, Windows will download and install the required drivers.
- Once done, open the folder on which you have the downloaded files. Double click on the Odin executable file.
- Odin will start-up and you will see the device is connected to the utility and ready for flashing.
- After that, click on the button “PDA” and choose the file “GT-I9500_AdamKernel.V1.2.Odin.tar” from the folder where you stored the downloaded files.
- Next, enable the check boxes “Auto Reboot” and “F.Reset Time and PDA”. The remaining boxes should not be enabled.
- After that, hit the “Start Button” and see whether everything runs fine without error.
- If everything is fine after sometimes, the smartphone should reboot on it’s own. After the phone restarts, you will see the “Superuser” app installed on your phone.
- To check whether your phone is successfully rooted or not, download any app that requires the root permission (such as ROM Manager, Titanium backup, or Root explorer) from the Google Play Store). If your phone is successfully rooted, you can use that app for further use.
Flash The CWM Recovery:
- Now, your phone is rooted and you will need the recovery utility to be flashed. It is similar to the steps you have done above.
- First, shut down your android phone and put it in the download mode and start Odin.
- This time, click the PDA button and choose the file “recovery-clockwork-18.104.22.168-i9500.tar.md5”.
- Once again, make sure that the check boxes “Auto Reboot”, “F. Reset Time” and “PDA” are checked and the rest are not.
- Next hit the “Start” button and wait for few minutes until it finished.
- After that the phone will start automatically.
- Next disconnect your Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 smartphone from the PC and shut down the same. Now, press the Volume Up Button and the Home button together, and while keeping the two buttons held down, press the power button.
- Now automatically your phone will be entered into the recovery mode.
That’s it. Now you installed CWM recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone successfully. Here after you can install rooted apps and flash custom ROMs.