Want to get rid of your Karbonn A18 owing to repressing speed and lagging functionality? Blow your worries out guys, by updating its firmware to the SuperStock18 ROM which comes with the UI of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and lot other features including “Beats Audio”, “Google Now”, “JB Launcher”, etc.
The ROM is built by Ujjwal Kumar, and it is one of the best ROM’s available for Karbonn A18 which provides Jelly Bean like interface. Let’s find out how you can install this ROM of your Karbonn device.
1) First of all, take a backup of your personal data in the smartphone as installing a new ROM will be a data-loss process.
2) Next, enable USB Debugging in your device. You can do this by following the path: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. You can also do this, by following this tutorial: How To Enable USB Debugging Option In All Android Smartphones.
3) Once done, make sure that your device is fully charged and all security programs of your smart phone and PC are disabled.
4) Before initiating ROM installation process, make sure that your device is left with a minimum of half of battery backup or the device will get turned off in the middle of customizing process suddenly out of nowhere.
5) Download Karbonn USB Driver based on your smartphone model and install it on your computer, so that you can connect your device with the computer.
Once you are done with these prerequisites, you can move on to the main tutorial.
Procedure To Upgrade Karbonn A18 To Jelly Bean Based SuperStock18 ROM
1) To get started, install CWM recovery on your device. Once done, download the SuperStock18 ROM and save it on your computer. Next, connect your smartphone to the computer in the USB Debugging mode and transfer the download ROM package to the SD card.
2) Next, switch off your device and boot into the CWM recovery mode. To do this, press and hold the Power button and Volume Down simultaneously.
3) Once you are in the recovery mode, select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” option and wipe all the data in your device. Once done, go to “Advanced Settings” and select “wipe Dalvik cache”.
4) Now, go to CWM recovery main menu and select “Install Zip from SD Card” and choose the ROM package. The installation will begin, and it will take sometime to get completed. Once the flashing process is over, reboot your device. Since the device is booting into the new ROM, it will take sometime to boot up. So, don’t panic if it takes too long to boot.
5) Upon booting up, your device will ask for you to grant SuperUser permissions. Allow it. Now go to apps menu and open ES file manager. In it, go to settings, select root settings and check all the boxes. You will see another permission request. Just allow it again.
6) Once done, tap up and select /data/app. Once you get into the folder, delete com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1.apk file. Now go back and get into /system/app and delete the same file again.
7) That’s it. Now you have installed the SuperStock18 ROM, which is based on the UI of Android Jelly Bean.
Since this ROM is based on Android ICS, you will need to install the Statusbar Mod to get the “Status Bar”. To do that, download the Mod, transfer to the SD and follow the Steps 2-4 again. Take a look at my mobile screenshot with this mod below.
Now, you will get a clean Android Jelly Bean experience with your Karbonn A18. If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, just let me know via comments.