Micromax A78 is a budget Android smartphone which comes with Cortex-A9 650 Mhz processor, 3.5 inches TFT capacitive touchscreen display, dual SIM capability, PowerVR SGX531 graphic processing unit, 1300 mAh Li-Ion battery and it runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system. It is also one of the best touch-qwerty mobile phones. If you would want a budget qwerty android phone then Micromax A78 would be the ideal fit.
If you own this smartphone and would like to root it for installing custom ROM’s or for installing rooted Android applications, then you are in the right place. The following tutorial will help you to Root Micromax A78 smartphone.
WARNING: Rooting your A78 qwerty phone will void its warranty. Also, there may be a chance that your device might get bricked while following the tutorial below. So proceed with CAUTION.
Prerequisites To Root Micromax A78 Qwerty Phone:
1) This rooting process is a data loss process. So it a must to take full backup of personal data before starting to root your device.
2) Download Micromax A78 USB driver for computer and install it in your PC.
3) Remove antivirus applications. Also ensure that your Micromax device is having enough battery backup to fully carry out the rooting process.
4) Enable USB Debugging in your A78 phone by following: Settings -> Developer Option -> USB Debugging (tick the box).
Once you are done with these prerequisites, you can move on to the actual rooting tutorial that is given below.
Tutorial To Root Micromax A78 Android Smartphone:
1) To begin, download A78 Rooted Boot image file, MTK6573 Scatter.txt file and save it on your computer hard disk. Next, Download SP Flash Tool v2.1, MTK65xx Driver, SuperOneClick Root application (which will have the required ADB drivers) and save them on your PC as well.
2) Now unzip MTK65xx USB drivers and click on setup.exe. After clicking the .exe file, connect your A78 phone to your PC using USB data cable. Your computer will automatically recognize the required MTK65xx drivers and install them. Once done, disconnect your device from the computer.
3) Next, open the folder that is having “rootedboot.img” file. Now rename this file as boot.img. Once done, unzip SP Flash tools and install it on your computer. In it click Options and check USB mode. Now click on Scatter-loading button which will be located on the right side just below Downloading Agent and select the “scatter.txt file” which you have downloaded before.
4) Now you will see the MT6573_Android_scatter map file. Select it and you will see the flash tool populating the map file on the application window. In it you will be multiple entries for PRELOADER, DSP_BL, MBR, etc., and each of them will have a check-box which is ticked by default.
5) Next uncheck all those check-boxes except for “BOOT“. Now click on “BOOT” and select the boot.img from Step 3. Once done, click on “Download” on an application or press the F9 button using the keyboard. You will see several warning messages. Just ignore them all and look out for the status bar which will be showing the message “Searching”.
6) Now switch off your Micromax A78 and connect it to the computer using the USB data cable and let the Flash tool do its magic. You will first see a red progress bar followed by a count down, and then a yellow bar and when all done you will see the Green circle. You will also get a congrats message which means that you have successfully flashed the unlocked boot.img!
7) Next install the SuperOneClick root application in your computer and connect your A78 Qwerty phone using the “USB Debugging” mode. Now click on the root button in SuperOneClick application and let the rooting process begin. Once it is finished, you will see the “SuperUser” app in your apps menu which is indicating that you have successfully rooting your Micromax A78 smartphone.
That’s it. Now, if you get in any trouble while following this Micromax A78 rooting tutorial do let me know via comments.