HTC One M8 is a high-end Android smartphone, which comes with a 5 inch Super LCD3 capacitive touchscreen display powered by a 2.3 GHz quad-core processor. It also has 2 GB RAM, and it runs on Android 4.4.2 KitKat operating system. With it’s 13 mega pixel camera, you can take high-quality pictures and videos without a fuss. All in all, this is one of the best Android smartphones available right now in the market.
If you have bought this device and looking for a way to root it, so that you can install Android games or applications which only supports rooted device, then you are in the right webpage. Here, I have given a full working tutorial on how to root HTC One M8 Android smartphone. Just follow the instructions carefully and root your device today.
WARNING: Rooting your HTC device will void it’s warranty. Also, if you don’t follow the procedure given here properly, you device might get bricked. If anything occurs to your device while following this tutorial, do not held us responsible. Proceed at your OWN wish.
1) Although the rooting process given here is not a data-loss process, it is safe to take a backup of personal data in your smartphone. Make use of appropriate apps to take the data backup.
2) Download and install HTC One M8 USB drivers in your computer, so that you can connect your device with it.
3) You have to enable USB debugging mode in your HTC smartphone. Just follow this guide to do it.
Once you have completed these basic tasks, you can move on the main tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Unlock HTC One M8 Bootloader:
1) Before getting started with the rooting procedure of your HTC smartphone, we have to unlock it. To do so, first go to “Settings -> Power” and make sure that “Fast Boot” is OFF.
2) Next, switch off your device and press Volume Down and Power button simultaneously until you see the bootloader menu. Now, use the power button to select the FASTBOOT mode.
3) Now, connect your device to the computer with the help of Original USB data cable. Once done, download fastboot.zip and extract it contents to a folder in your computer.
4) In the extracted folder, press shift and right-click on an space. Once you have done that, you will be able to see the option “Open Command Window here.” Click on it to open the Command prompt there. Once done, enter the following command:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
5) You will be able to see the Identifier token. Copy and save it to a notepad. Once done, go to HTC dev and select “Unlock Bootloader“. You will be asked to register. Just follow the on-screen instructions to register. Once done, go to https://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ page, choose HTC One M8 and click the “Begin Unlock Bootloader” button.
6) Just follow the on-screen instructions until you are in the “Step 5“. In that step, you will be asked to enter the identifier token in a box under the title “My Device Identifier Token.” Just copy and paste the identifier token from the notepad (previous step) and proceed. Once you have done that, the HTC dev team will automatically email the unlock key for your device.
7) Now, go to your register email, download “unlock_code.bin” and save it in the FASTBOOT files extracted folder. Once done, go to the Command window again and type the following command:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
8) You will get an unlock token check successful message. Now go to your device and choose “Yes” with the help of power key. Your device will reboot shortly. That’s it. Now you have unlocked the bootloader of your HTC One M8 smartphone.
Tutorial To Root HTC One M8:
1) Once you have unlocked the bootloader, go to Settings in your device and uncheck “Fast Boot” option.
2) Next, download SuperSU file and save it in your computer. Now, connect your device to the computer in the USB debugging mode and transfer the SuperSU file to the SD card. Once done, disconnect your device from the computer.
3) Now, switch off your device and press the volume buttons and power button, until you see the bootloader menu. Using the original USB data cable, connect your device to the computer again.
4) Once done, download the CWM or TWRP recovery file given below based on your device model number and save it in the folder where the Fastboot zip package files are extracted.
a) TWRP Recovery for HTC One M8 v18.104.22.168 (AT&T, T-Mobile, International, unlocked, developer)
b) TWRP Recovery for HTC One M8 Sprint v22.214.171.124
c) TWRP Recovery for HTC One M8 Verizon v126.96.36.199
d) CWM Recovery for HTC One M8 (AT&T, T-Mobile, International)
e) CWM Recovery for HTC One M8 Sprint
f) CWM Recovery for HTC One M8 Verizon
5) Next, open command prompt in the extracted folder and enter the following command:
fastboot flash recovery CWMorTWRPrecoveryimagefilename.img
In the above command, replace CWMorTWRPrecoveryimagefilename with the downloaded file name in Step 4.
6) The recovery file will be flashed successfully. Once done, go to your HTC One M8 and choose HBOOT. In the next screen, choose “RECOVERY” and your device will boot into CWM or TWRP recovery. From there, select “Install Zip from SD Card” and install the SuperSU zip file that you have transferred to the SD Card (Step 2).
7) After flashing the SuperSU file, reboot your device and disconnect it from the computer.
That’s it. Now you have successfully rooted your HTC One M8 smartphone. To confirm it, look for the SuperSU app in your device. If it’s there, your device is rooted. Alternatively, you can use the Root Checker app to confirm the rooting privileges of your HTC smartphone.
If you face any issues while following this tutorial, do let me know via comments.