Sony Xperia Z3 is a high quality flagship Android smartphone from Sony. The device was launched in September 2014 and it comes with a 5.2 inch IPS LCD touchscreen display, which is powered by a 2.5 Ghz quad-core processor alongside a 3 GB RAM. The device runs on Android 4.4.4 operating system which is upgradable to Android L as well. The 20.7 mega pixel comes with this device will let you to take high quality pictures which might rival pictures taken on DSLR cameras. If you want a top end Android smartphone, Sony Xperia Z3 should be your first choice.
If you have purchased this Android smartphone and looking for a way to get root privileges, so that you can install applications which only supports rooted devices, uninstall pre-installed applications, install custom ROM firmware, etc., then you are in right place. Here, I have given a step by step tutorial to Root Sony Xperia Z3 smartphone along with installing TWRP custom Recovery.
WARNING: Rooting your Sony device will void its warranty. Also, this rooting procedure has been tested only on D6653/D6603/D6633 variants and worked well. So, don’t use it on any other variants of Sony Xperia Z3. If in case something happens wrong and your device gets bricked, then don’t held me responsible. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) This rooting procedure requires your device’s bootloader unlocked. So go to this page and follow the instructions given in there to unlock the bootloader.
2) Ensure that you have enable USB Debugging mode in your smartphone. You can do that by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging. If you can’t see Developer options, then follow this path to enable it: Settings -> About Phone and tap on the build number for 5-7 times to enable it.
3) Uninstall or deactivate antivirus programs in your desktop as they tend to interrupt the rooting process.
4) Download Sony Xperia Z3 USB drivers and install it in your computer, so that you can connect your device with the computer successfully.
Once you have done these prerequisites, you can move forward to the tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Install TWRP Recovery In Sony Xperia Z3:
1) To get started, download Fastboot, extract it and save the extracted files in a folder in your desktop. Next, download the Kernel image given below based on your device’s model number:
2) Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer with the help of original USB data cable.
3) Next, go the Fastboot folder, press shift and right-click on an empty space. You will see “open Command Window here” option. Click on it to open “Command Prompt“.
4) Now enter the following command to boot your device into Fastboot mode:
adb reboot fastboot
5) Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to flash the Kernel image which you have downloaded in Step 1.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
(replace boot.img with the name of the kernel image you have downloaded).
6) Once the flashing process is over, enter the following command to reboot your device normally:
That’s it. Now you have successfully installed TWRP custom recovery in your Sony device. Now, let’s find out how to root your Xperia Z3 smartphone.
Tutorial To Root Sony Xperia Z3 (D6653/D6603/D6633):
1) To get started, download SuperSU and save it in your computer. Next, connect your smartphone to the computer and transfer the downloaded SuperSU file to your device’s internal memory. Once done, disconnect your smartphone from the computer.
2) Now, switch off your device and boot it into the TWRP recovery mode. To do that, press and hold the Volume Up and power button simultaneously.
3) Once in the recovery mode, click on “Install” and select the SuperSU file (Step 1). This will start the SuperSU flashing process. Once it is done, click on “Reboot“.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting your Xperia Z3 smartphone. To confirm, look for SuperSU in the Apps Menu. If it’s there, then the process is successful. Also, you can use the Root Checker app from Google Play store to find out the root privileges of your device.
If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, do let me know via comments.