ASUS Zenfone 4 is a decent quality Android smartphone, which comes with a 4 inch touchscreen display protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3, 1.2 GHz dual-core processor and 1 GB RAM. The device runs on Android 4.3 Jelly bean operating system and it is upgradable upto Android 4.4.2 KitKat operating system. With its lower cost and good features, this device is an instant hit in the smartphone market.
If you have purchased this device and looking for a way to improve its performance, then rooting is your best choice. By rooting your device, you will be able to install custom ROM firmware’s, custom-built Android applications, remove unwanted applications which comes preinstalled in your device, etc. Here, I have given a step by step tutorial to root ASUS Zenfone 4 Android smartphone. Follow the instructions carefully and root your device today.
WARNING: Rooting your ASUS smartphone will void its warranty. Also, if you don’t follow the rooting instructions carefully, your device might get bricked. So, if anything wrong occurs to your smartphone while following this tutorial, do not held me or my team responsible. Proceed at your own risk.
1) First, you will have to enable USB debugging mode in your smartphone. To do that, you will need to enable Developer Options by following this path: Settings -> About -> Software Information and tap on the build number for 5-7 times. Once Developer options are enabled, follow this path to enable USB debugging mode: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging mode (tap on it to enable it).
2) Ensure that your smartphone has at least 50-70% battery backup. If you don’t have enough battery backup and if your device gets switched off during the rooting process, then it will surely get bricked. So avoid it by having enough battery backup.
3) Download ASUS Zenfone 4 USB drivers and install it in your computer, so that you can connect your smartphone with the computer successfully.
4) Deactivate or uninstall antivirus applications in your smartphone as they tend to interrupt with the rooting procedure, which may sometimes result in bricked device.
5) The rooting procedure given here is not a data-loss process, but it is safe to have a backup of personal data’s. So, take it by using appropriate apps.
Once you have done all these prerequisites, you can move forward with the main rooting tutorial.
Tutorial To Root ASUS Zenfone 4:
1) To get started, download the rooting kit “Root_Zenfone 4_T001.rar” to your computer. Once done, extract the .rar file in a folder and name it as “Root_Zenfone 4_T001“.
2) Next, switch off your smartphone and boot into DROIDBOOT by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button simultaneously. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer by using original USB data cable. If you have installed your device’s USB drivers properly, then you will see “Ready for Download” message in your smartphone’s screen.
3) Now, open the folder where you have extracted the rooting kit, press “Shift” and click on an empty space. You will see the option “Open Command Window here.” Click on it to open a command prompt. Once done, enter the following two commands, one by one:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash update root_zenfone4_v4.2.0.zip
4) That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting your ASUS Zenfone 4 Android smartphone. For confirmation, look for SuperSU app in your device’s Apps Menu. If it is there (it will be there), then your device is successfully rooted. You can also use the Root Checker app from Google Play store for confirming your device’s root privileges.
If you encounter any issues while following this rooting procedure, do let me know using the comments section below.