LG G4 H815 is a high-quality Android smartphone released by LG in April, 2015. The device comes with a 5.5 inch IPS LCD touchscreen display which is powered by 1.82 GHz Cortex-A57 Dual-core processor along with 3 GB RAM and the device runs on Android 5.1 Lollipop Operating system. If you have purchased this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, then you are in the right page as I have given a full tutorial to root LG G4 here along with a tutorial to install TWRP recovery.
By following the procedure given here, you will be able to gain root privileges in your LG G4 smartphone thereby you will get the ability to install custom ROM firmware of your choice. Also by rooting your device, you will be able to remove the unwanted pre-installed applications in your smartphone and install custom-built Android applications.
WARNING: Rooting your LG Smartphone will void its warranty. Also while rooting, if you don’t follow the procedure properly, there is a chance that you might get your device bricked and if that happens, don’t held me liable. Please proceed with CAUTION.
1) Before getting started with the rooting procedure, it is important to take backup of personal data in your smartphone so that even if you lose data during the rooting process, you can recover it back with the help of backup. So take a complete backup using appropriate apps.
2) Download LG G4 USB Drivers and install it in your computer, so that you can connect your smartphone with the computer successfully.
3) Next, enable USB debugging mode in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging (just tap on it). If you can’t see Developer Options in your device, then you can enable it by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on the build number for 5-7 times).
4) Ensure that your device has a decent amount of battery in it before getting started with the rooting procedure. Also, make sure that you have disabled as they tend to interrupt the rooting procedure.
5) Next, Unlock Bootloader of your LG G4 smartphone.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward with the TWRP recovery installation tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Install TWRP Recovery In LG G4 H815:
1) Before getting started with the custom recovery installation procedure, make sure that your device model number is “H815” by following this path: Settings -> About Phone. If you own any other variants of LG G4, don’t follow this procedure.
2) Next, download TWRP recovery for LG G4 H815 (twrp-188.8.131.52-h815.img), rename it to lgg4-twrp (don’t change the extension) and save it in your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone with the computer and transfer this TWRP recovery file to your device’s SD card.
3) Now, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, go the folder where you have saved the TWRP recovery file and by holding shift press the right-click button in your mouse. You will see the “Open command window here” option. Click on it to open a command window.
4) Next, switch off your device and connect it to the computer using original USB data cable and once done, enter the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
5) Now you will boot into your device bootloader. Once done, enter the following command to boot into TWRP recovery:
fastboot boot lgg4-twrp.img
The above command will boot your device into TWRP recovery, but you are not flashing the custom recovery in your device. Let’s find out how to do it.
6) In the TWRP recovery screen, click on “Install” and then click on “Images“. Once done, select the lgg4-twrp.img (which you have transferred to your device in Step 2).
7) Now you will two options under “Select Partition to Flash Image“. Select “Recovery” option and once done, swipe at the bottom of the screen to use the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” option for installing TWRP recovery in LG G4.
8) If you do everything properly, you will get a [IMAGE FLASH COMPLETE] in the next screen. Once done, click on “Back” button followed by selecting the “System” reboot option to restart your device normally.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished flashing TWRP Recovery in LG G4. Let’s find out how to root your device by installing chainfire SuperSU.
Tutorial To Root LG G4 H815:
1) To get started, download Chainfire SuperSU for LG G4 and save it in your computer. Once downloaded, connect your smartphone to the computer and transfer the SuperSU file to your device SD.
2) Now, go to the folder where you have saved the TWRP recovery, and open command window by holding the Shift button and pressing the right-click button in your mouse.
3) Next, switch off your smartphone and connect it with the computer. Once done, enter the following command to boot your device into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
4) Now, in the TWRP recovery screen, choose “Install” and select the “SuperSU” file which you have transferred to your device SD card in Step 1 to begin the flashing process. Once it is done, reboot your device normally.
That’s it. Now, you have successfully finished rooting your LG G4 smartphone. To confirm the root privileges in your device, download and install the Root Checker App from Google Play store.
If you encounter any issues while following the TWRP recovery installation tutorial or rooting tutorial, do let me know via comments.