Moto G 3rd gen is one of the best Moto G smartphone which is launched ever by Motorola. The device comes with a 5.0-inch display screen. The 5.0-inch display of the device delivers resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. One of the best features of the Motorola Moto G is protection from water. The device is a water resistant one and come with IPX7 certified coating. The Moto G smartphone is powered with a 1.4 GHz quad-core processor and 2 GB RAM.
To install custom ROMs on Moto G (3rd gen) and install special apps which one can only install if there is root access on Android device you need to root it. Today in this guide we will show you how to install TWRP recovery and root Moto G (3rd gen).
WARNING: We are not responsible for any damages –if done- to your smartphone while rooting, flashing. Your device might get bricked, SD cards might get corrupted if you have not followed the proper steps. You are following this tutorial at your own risk.
- Your Moto G (3rd gen) smartphone should have more than 80% of battery present in it.
- Create a backup of all the data which is present in your Moto G (3rd gen) smartphone to be on a safer side.
- Install Fastboot and ADB Tools on your PC. If Fastboot and ADB Tools are not installed on your PC, you can download them from here.
- Download and install drivers or Moto G (3rd gen) from here.
- USB Debugging should be enabled. To enable USB debugging, go to Settings > About Phone. Now you have to tap build number 5-7 times. Return to Developer Options and open it. Now select USB debugging from there.
- The bootloader of your Moto G should be unlocked. Follow the guide to unlock the bootloader of Moto G (3rd gen).
Once you have fulfilled all the pre requisites, you are ready to install TWRP Recovery and root Moto G (3rd gen).
- Download TWRP Recovery for Moto G (3rd gen).
- Download SuperSU for Moto G (3rd gen) and copy in the internal storage of Moto G (3rd gen).
How to flash TWRP Recovery on Moto G (3rd gen)
- Copy the TWRP recovery file and paste in Fastboot and ADB tools directory. Replace the file with name “img”
- Put your Moto G (3rd gen) in bootloader menu. Press Power + Volume up button to enter bootloader menu of Moto G (3rd gen).
- Once you have entered bootloader menu, connect your Moto G (3rd gen) with your Pc using USB cable.
- The drivers of your Moto G (3rd gen) will get installed.
- Now go to the folder where you have copied the Moto G (3rd gen) recovery that we renamed to img earlier. Open a command window by pressing Shift Key + right mouse button and then selecting Open command window here.
- Now enter the command to check if your device is connected in fastboot mode.
You should see your Moto G (3rd gen) here.
- Now to flash recovery enter the command mentioned below.
Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
TWRP recovery will be flashed on Moto G (3rd gen).
How to root Moto G (3rd gen)
Now you have to root Moto G (3rd gen) smartphone. You can follow the steps shared below to root the device.
- Enter recovery mode by pressing Volume Down + Power
- When you see TWRP recovery, tap on Install Now browse for the SuperSU file that you downloaded before.
- Flash SuperSU on your Moto G (3rd gen) smartphone.
- It will take a couple of minutes to complete flashing of SuperSU file. Once completed, reboot your Moto G (3rd gen).
This is how you can install TWRP recovery and root Moto G (3rd gen) smartphone.