Motorola has just launched Moto X Play, which is the third generation Moto X smartphone. The device comes with powerful hardware and is available only for Rs 18,500. Moto X Play comes with a 5.5-inch display screen. If you like watching movies on big screens, you can put the 5.5-inch display of the Moto X to good use. Moto X Play has a 1.7 GHz octa-core processor and 2 GB RAM. This hardware configuration makes sure that one can get the best Android experience on the Moto X Play, and also all operations can be performed easily.
If you want to install custom ROMs on your Moto X Play smartphone, you need to root your device. Today, in this guide we will teach you how to install TWRP recovery and root Moto X Play smartphone.
WARNING: We are not responsible for any damages –if done- to your smartphone while rooting, flashing. Your device might get bricked; SD cards might get corrupted if you have not followed the proper steps. You are following this tutorial at your risk.
- Your Moto X Play smartphone should have more than 80% of battery present in it.
- Create a backup of all the data which is present in your Moto X Play smartphone to be on a safer side.
- Install Fastboot and ADB Tools on your PC. If Fastboot and ADB Tools are not installed on your PC, you can download them from here.
- Download and install drivers or Moto X Play from here.
- USB Debugging should be enabled. To enable USB debugging to go to Settings > About Phone. Now you have to tap build number 5-7 times. Return to Developer Options and open it. Now select USB debugging from there.
- The bootloader of your Moto X Play should be unlocked. Follow the guide to unlock the bootloader of Moto X Play.
Once you have fulfilled all the pre requisites, you are ready to install TWRP Recovery and root Moto X Play.
- Download TWRP Recovery for Moto X Play.
- Download SuperSU for Moto X Play and copy in internal storage of Moto X Play.
How to flash TWRP Recovery on Moto X Play
- Copy the TWRP recovery file and paste in Fastboot and ADB tools directory. Replace the filename with name “img”
- Put your Moto X Play in bootloader menu. Press Power + Volume up button to enter bootloader menu of Moto X Play.
- Once you have entered bootloader menu, connect your Moto X Play with your Pc using USB cable.
- The drivers of your Moto X Play will get installed.
- Now go to the folder where you have copied the Moto X Play recovery that we renamed to img earlier. Open a command window by pressing Shift Key + right mouse button and then selecting Open command window here.
- Now enter the command to check if your device is connected in fastboot mode.
You should see your Moto X Play here.
- Now to flash recovery enter the command mentioned below.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
TWRP recovery will be flashed on Moto X Play.
How to root Moto X Play
Now you have to root Moto X Play smartphone. You can follow the steps shared below to root the device.
- Enter recovery mode by pressing Volume Down + Power
- When you see TWRP recovery, tap on Install Now browse for the SuperSU file that you downloaded before.
- Flash SuperSU on your Moto X Play smartphone.
- It will take a couple of minutes to complete flashing of SuperSU file. Once completed, reboot your Moto X Play.
This is how you can install TWRP recovery and root Moto X Play smartphone.