The third generation Moto G smartphone is finally available. The smartphone has got many new improvements and additions over the previous generation Moto G smartphones. To get the best out of your Moto G smartphone, you need to root it. If you are rooting any Motorola device, it is necessary that you unlock its bootloader first. If the bootloader is not unlocked, then you won’t be able to root it. Same is the case with Moto G 3rd gen.
Today in this guide we will show you how you can unlock the bootloader of Moto G 3rd generation smartphone. Follow the step by step guide shared below to unlock the bootloader of Moto G 3rd gen (2015).
WARNING: We are not responsible for any damages –if done- to your smartphone while rooting, flashing. Your device might get bricked, SD cards might get corrupted if you have not followed the proper steps. You are following this tutorial at your own risk.
- Your Moto G smartphone should have more than 80% of battery present in it.
- Create a backup of all the data which is present in your Moto G smartphone as all data will be lost once the bootloader is unlocked.
- Install Fastboot and ADB Tools on your PC. If Fastboot and ADB Tools are not installed on your PC, you can download them from here.
- Download and install drivers or Moto G 3rd gen from here.
- USB Debugging should be enabled. To enable USB debugging, go to Settings > About Phone. Now you have to tap build number 5-7 times. Return to Developer Options and open it. Now select USB debugging from there.
Once you have fulfilled all the pre requisites, you are ready to unlock the bootloader of Moto G 3rd gen (2015).
How to unlock bootloader of Moto G 3rd gen (2015)
- First of all, enter bootloader menu of your device. To enter bootloader menu of Moto G, press Volume Down + Power buttons for around 5 seconds.
- As soon as you have entered bootloader menu, connect your Moto G smartphone with your PC using USB cable.
- Open the folder where you have installed Android SDK or ADB and Fastboot tools. If you are installed Android SDK you need to go to C :> Android SDK > Platform – tools. Now you have to open command window here. To open command window press Shift Key + right mouse From the list that appears in front of you select open command window here.
- Enter the command which we have shared below in the command window.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- You will see a string on the window. Copy the string and paste it in notepad. Remove all the spaces and INFO from the string.
- Now you have to open this website on your web browser. Use your Google account to sign in the website. Now copy the code that was in Notepad and paste it in the big box. Once you have pasted the code, click on Can my device be unlocked?
- Now scroll at the bottom and click on Unlock Key option followed by I Agree. Now click on Request Unlock Key. You will receive an e-mail using that you logged in.
- Open the mail and copy the key received in it. Now use the same command prompt that you used earlier to enter the command mentioned below.
fastboot oem unlock “enter key here”
Hit Enter and the bootloader of your Moto G 3rd gen smartphone will get unlocked.