If you want to root HTC desire 826, you will need to install TWRP or another custom recovery first. Once you are able to install a custom recovery, you will reboot your device into the recovery and flash SuperSU to root the device.
Understanding the rooting procedure
You wonder if there anything difficult about it?
Although it sounds simple, there are a few things you should know before you root HTC Desire 826.
- If you root HTC Desire 826, you will loose manufacture’s warranty. So proceed carefully.
- If your phone shuts down during rooting process due to low battery, you might end up with a dead phone. So be sure to charge it before you start rooting.
- If you miss any step or fail to follow steps accurately, you might end up with a dead phone. So be sure to follow steps carefully. If you find anything confusing, just ask about it in the comments.
- Rooting your phone doesn’t require a complete data wipe but you may lose data due one of hundred reasons. It is always a good idea to make a complete backup of phone data. You can restore it in case something goes wrong.
How to root HTC Desire 826
To root HTC Desire 826, you need to follow these easy steps.
Step 1: Things you need to download
You will need to download a few files in order to follow along. The links are given below but in case a link isn’t working for you, contact us for alternate download links.
- TWRP Recovery for HTC Desire 826
- SuperSU for HTC Desire 826
- HTC Toolkit for unlocking bootloader of HTC Desire 826
Although rooting is possible with different custom recoveries, I recommend using TWRP recovery since I’ve tested this method with only TWRP recovery.
Step 2: Time for some geek stuff – Unlock bootloader on your HTC phone
ALERT: I’ve written a new and easier tutorial to unlock bootloader HTC Desire 826.
Now it’s time to move to the most complicated part in this rooting tutorial (although I believe this is the easiest part as long as you follow instructions).
- Visit HTC Developer official website and sign up for an account. This should be fairly easy if you know how to create a basic account.
- Run the HTC Toolkit on your PC. The file you downloaded in step 1 is a zip file. You will need to unzip/extract it to a folder and then run the .exe file.
- Once the program is open, you can download HTC USB drivers. Go ahead and get them if you haven’t already installed these drivers on your PC.
- Now turn on USB Debugging on your phone and connect it to your PC.
- Look for token ID in the HTC Toolkit. Follow on-screen instructions and get your ID.
- Submit this ID on HTC Dev website. You will get your unlock token in the email. Download it to your PC.
- Go back to Toolkit and look for unlock bootloader feature. It will ask for unlock.bin file (token ID from email) to unlock and root HTC Desire 826.
So what was so difficult about it? All you need to do is to grab a token ID from HTC and use it in HTC toolkit. It doesn’t take a geek to get through this.
Step 3: Install TWRP recovery
This is a simple step. Just two simple things to do to install TWRP on HTC Desire 826.
- Extract TWRP file that you downloaded in step 1.
- Locate recovery.bat file and run it.
That’s it. The process will take about a minute to install TWRP recovery on your unlocked phone.
IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to connect your phone to your PC while installing TWRP. You can’t really install it unless your device is connected.
Step 4: Flash SuperSU and root HTC Desire 826
Now it’s time for the final step. You are now going to flash SuperSU to root HTC Desire 826. Follow the instructions below.
- Move SuperSU file to your phone.
- Unplug your phone from USB cable.
- Reboot it to custom recovery you installed in the previous step by holding specific hardware keys.
- Look for ‘install from ZIP’.
- Install SuperSU.
Congratulations! You now have root access on HTC Desire 826.