There is good news for HTC One M9 owners. Now they can update HTC One M9 to Marshmallow. The update is already available in various regions over the air (OTA). Even if you’re the unlucky one and haven’t got the update in your region, we got you covered.
We will teach you how to upgrade HTC One M9 to Marshmallow even if you haven’t received the OTA update. But first, let’s explore the OTA method to get HTC One M9 update.
How to upgrade HTC One M9 to Marshmallow using OTA
If you think HTC One M9 vs iPhone 6 could actually mean something, you need to update your HTC to the latest version first. Once your phone is running the latest Android version, you can safely compete it with iPhone. Without latest update, a comparison would be unfair, even when you bring HTC One M9 Plus into the battle.
So how do you upgrade HTC One M9 to Marshmallow?
It’s easy. Follow these steps.
- Before you proceed, be sure to check your phone’s battery. It should be charged to 80% to start the tutorial. If you start with lesser charge, you might have to end up with a bricked phone.
- If you have received a notification about the update in your phone, just tap that notification and proceed. Follow on-screen prompts and your phone will automatically update.
- If there is no update notification on your phone, go to Settings>About Phone> Software Version. The phone will check for the latest software version. If there is an update available, you will get an on-screen prompt to move forward with the update.
- In case none of the above work, then you can’t update HTC One M9 to Marshmallow using OTA due to your region.
So you think you’re the unlucky one who keeps getting ‘your phone is at the latest version’ or a similar message when trying to run OTA update.
Don’t worry. There is a way around this.
Once you reach the end, your HTC phone will be running the latest Android version.
How to update HTC One M9 to Marshmallow when OTA isn’t working
Before you do anything, be sure to read the notice below.
NOTICE: This method requires flashing a phone. Flashing could leave your phone bricked if you make a mistake. From this point onward, you proceed at your own risk. However, if you follow steps and don’t make a mistake, chances of bricking a phone are slim.
Step 1: Download RUU files
First, you need to download RUU files from official website in order to update HTC One M9 to Marshmallow. You can download these files from this link.
Since these Marshmallow files are have a huge size, you may have to wait a few minutes before your files are downloaded to your PC.
ADDITIONAL TUTORIAL: Root HTC One M9
Step 2: Prepare your phone
Now it’s time to prepare your phone for the update. Here is what you should do before you start.
- Charge your phone to 80% at least for safe flashing.
- Be sure to install HTC drivers for USB cable. You can look for drivers on this page.
Step 3: Flash Marshmallow ROM to update HTC One M9
Now that your phone is ready for flashing, download your favorite flashing tool. We recommend using Odin.
Assuming that you’re using Odin, follow these steps.
- Connect your phone with your PC using a USB cable.
- To install the latest HTC One M9 update, you need to run Odin.
- Once the phone is connected, you should see the status on Odin screen.
- Provide the path to Marshmallow files you downloaded in the first step and start the flashing process.
- It shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes to complete.
- Once the process is complete, you can unplug your phone and switch it on.
- Now you have complete update HTC One M9 to Marshmallow. Enjoy the new Android.