But before we go about rooting, let’s take a look at the summary procedure.
Summary of rooting procedure
We will begin by downloading necessary files. Once you have these files, we will start flashing recovery to the phone.
If this sounds somewhat geekish, keep reading for detailed explanation later in this guide.
The good news is that the latest TWRP custom recovery app has an updated design. This new design enables you to use this app on all Asus phones. The app now allows touch control and makes life much easier.
How to root Asus Zenfone Max and install TWRP recovery
Here I will explain how to root Asus Zenfone Max with just a few steps. I have explained each step in a way so that you can easily follow instructions. I have included images where necessary for your help.
Important to read
Before you start this procedure, it is important that you read the following carefully.
- Although rooting is an easy procedure, it can harm your phone if you make a mistake or your phone switches off during the procedure due to lack of charge. So make sure your phone is fully charged and you follow instructions carefully.
- Rooting isn’t something your phone manufacturer wants you to do. So if you root your phone, its warranty will be void.
- It is recommended that you erase all the data on your phone to ensure there are no errors during this procedure. So make sure you have backed up your important files in a safe place before starting this tutorial.
Important files for this guide
I’m sure you have read the above warnings and you have thought about it carefully. If you have made your decision to proceed, start by downloading these important files to a PC.
- Download ADB drivers for Windows
- Download TWRP custom recovery – Latest build
- Download SuperSU for Asus
How to install TWRP on Asus Zenfone Max
Once you have downloaded the files from the previous section, you can proceed with the rooting procedure. You will begin by flashing TWRP on your phone.
Follow the steps below.
- Enable ‘USB debugging’ from ‘developer options’ located in ‘phone settings’. In case your can’t find this under ‘settings’, go to ‘about phone’ and tap it 7 times to activate ‘developer options’. See the image below for help.
- Now install the ADB from the file you downloaded in the previous section. This should only take a few minutes.
- Go to the folder on your computer hard drive where ADB installed itself. Find an empty space and right-click there.
- A menu will pop-up. Click ‘open Command Window here’.
- Connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Now enter the following commands in Command Window to flash TWRP on your phone. Make sure you type the commands exactly as given, without quotes.
- ‘ADB reboot bootloader‘ : This command will restart your phone in bootloader mode.
- ‘fastboot devices‘ : You should see your device serial number returned in Command Window. This means that your phone is properly connected and is ready for flashing.
- ‘fastboot flash recovery recovery.img‘ : Where recovery.img is the file name of the recovery file you downloaded earlier. If you renamed this file, make sure you change the name in this command as well.
That’s it. If you did everything correctly, your ADB should start flashing recovery files on your phone.
The process will complete in a minute. You can now root Asus Zenfone Max.
How to root Asus Zenfone Max
- Move the SuperSU file to your phone using a USB cable. You downloaded this file on your PC earlier in this tutorial.
- Power off your phone and restart it in TWRP by holding Volume Down and Power button together.
- Look for ‘install from ZIP’. Touch this option and browse to the SuperSU file on your phone.
- Your phone will flash SuperSU.
- Once done, your phone will be rooted.