This guide is for you if you want to Unlock Bootloader and Install Custom Recovery on Lenovo Zuk Z1. Here I will take you through easy steps to install TWRP for Lenovo Z1. Download links and images are included.
Things you need to consider before unlocking your phone
In order to unlock Lenovo Zuk Z1, you need to first consider the following things.
- Unlocking a phone is easy as long as you follow this tutorial exactly. So if you are that guy who always skips a step in a tutorial, unlocking isn’t for you.
- Your manufacturer has locked the phone for security reasons. It also enables certain features such as finding a lost phone. After you breach this security measure, you won’t be able to enjoy these security features.
- If you unlock bootloader and install TWRP on Lenovo Zuk Z1, your manufacturer’s warranty will end.
- Unlocking a phone is required for rooting. That means you can’t really customize your phone unless you have unlocked it. Once done, you can install custom ROMs and remove stock apps.
- If you want to install Cyanogen OS, you don’t need to unlock or root this phone. It supports this OS by default.
- Since you will be installing TWRP, you should know that there is no official version of this recovery app for Zuk Z1. The version that you will use was developed by an enthusiast at XDA forum.
Guide to unlock bootloader and install custom recovery on Lenovo Zuk Z1
Now it’s time to start the real thing. Follow this guide to unlock bootloader and install a custom recovery on Lenovo Zuk Z1.
Things to do first…
Before you start, you should go through this checklist to ensure you go through this procedure without any interruptions.
- Fully charge your phone.
- Backup phone data.
- Install USB drivers and enable debugging mode. If you need help with this step, read this guide.
Files to download
The best thing about this guide is that you don’t have to download a lot of files. In fact, there is only one file that you need from the internet.
Unlock the bootloader
Follow the steps below to finally unlock your phone.
- Enable OEM unlocking by going to Developer Options found in phone settings. See the image below for visual explanation.
- Now connect your phone to a PC using a USB cable.
- Go to the folder where you downloaded the TWRP recovery file on your PC.
Open command prompt from right-click menu. See the image below for details.
- Enter the command ‘ADB reboot bootloader’ without quotes. Your phone will enter the bootloader mode.
- Now enter the command ‘fastboot -1 0x2b4c OEM unlock-go’ without quotes. Make sure you enter the command exactly as written.
- Finally, enter the command ‘fastboot -i 0x2b4c OEM device-info’. This command will unlock your phone.
Now that you have unlocked your phone, you can install a custom recovery app using the tutorial below.
Make sure you don’t exit the bootloader mode. Keep the command prompt running. We will begin the next guide where we ended this one.
Install custom recovery on Lenovo Zuk Z1
Make sure your phone is still connected in bootloader mode.
Enter the command ‘fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery z1.twp.188.8.131.52’.
Now enter command ‘fastboot reboot’ to reboot your phone.
Now you have successfully installed TWRP on Lenovo Zuk Z1.