This tutorial assumes that you have rooted your device. If not, head over to a rooting tutorial for this handset and come back here once you have acquired rooting permission on your handset.
How to update Asus Zenfone 2 with a custom ROM
To follow this guide and to update Asus Zenfone 2, you need to have access to a Windows computer and the internet. You should be using a user account with administrative permissions with security features turned off for a while.
Once you have met the above requirement, you should follow the steps below.
- Charge your smartphone to 100% using the charger that comes with it. If that device lacks charge, don’t start rooting procedure unless you charge it. If it shuts down during the procedure, you won’t be able to bring it back to life.
- Now enable developer options on the phone. To do this, find ‘about phone’ and go to ‘build number’ from Settings and tap it 7 times to enable the developer options.
- Now enable USB debugging by going to developer options again.
- Now it’s time to download your favorite ROM. Make sure you download Google Apps along with the ROM.
- Save the ROM and Google Apps files on your PC and connect that handset with it using a USB cable.
- Transfer the ROM and Google apps files to this device.
Now you are ready to change ROM. Just follow the simple steps below.
- Turn off this handset and reboot it into recovery mode by holding Volume Down and Power button together.
- Once in Recovery mode, go to wipe data option and clean cache partition and Dalvik cache.
- Now look for an option to install ZIP from SD card. Click this option and browse to the location where you copied the ROM file.
- It should now install the new ROM on your device.
- After the flashing procedure completes, it’s time to install Google Apps package.
- Now go to install ZIP from SD card option again and flash Google Apps this time.
Once done, you can restart this device. You will be using the new ROM now.
Where to get ROM files for Asus Zenfone 2?
I knew you were going to ask this. You have learned how to update Asus Zenfone 2 with a custom ROM but you don’t know where to download these custom ROMs. Don’t worry, I won’t leave you alone.
Here are some of the top custom ROMs available for this phone.
This is one of the most famous ROMs and it’s available for this handset. This ROM is stable and provides tight security features. If you decide to install this ROM, make sure you try some nightly builds to taste the latest features of this ROM.
Resurrection Remix is another famous Android ROM that you can use to update Asus Zenfone 2. This ROM runs on Marshmallow Android 6.0.
Unofficial Beanstalk ROM
This is yet another popular ROM for Asus phones. This ROM has received a massive update that has made it competitive with the other top ROMs.