This guide will explain in detail how to upgrade your device. There are two different methods to upgrade this phone so make sure you follow the one you find easy.
If you try one method and it doesn’t work for you, try the other one. This is another reason to give you two different methods. I want you to run this latest update as it’s the best thing you can do with your Asus phone right now.
Summary of update procedure
As mentioned earlier, this guide includes two different methods for updating this mobile. The first method will upgrade your firmware to bridge firmware while the second method will update it to Lollipop.
Although you can skip the first method and upgrade your handset directly to Lollipop, it is recommended that you first upgrade bridge firmware and then go for Lollipop update. This route is safer and it will ensure that you complete the procedure without any errors and bugs.
Are you getting the new update on your Asus phone?
The method I explain here is manual updating. You don’t have to do it if Asus is offering you an automatic OTA update.
Update Bridge Firmware
We will begin by updating the bridge firmware unless you have already updated it using the OTA update. Follow the steps below to upgrade your firmware.
- Download the latest firmware from the official website. Make sure you download the ROM directly on your device so that you don’t have to move it to the device later.
- Once you have downloaded the firmware to your SD card, move it to a folder on the internal memory of that device. Make sure you don’t extract the zip file.
- Now reboot the device. You will be able to see the notification for the updating.
- If you don’t see the notification as mentioned above, turn off data and restart handset again. This time, you will get the notification.
- Tap this notification and install the latest update on this device. Follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
The entire upgrading process might take around 10 minutes. You need to wait this long to update Asus Zenfone 5 to Lollipop.
As soon as the phone completes updating, you will see a prompt telling you that your phone has updated now. You can check the OS version by going to Software Information from Settings on the phone.
Update Asus Zenfone 5 to Lollipop
Now that you have successfully updated the bridge firmware, it’s time to upgrade to the Lollipop version of Android. Follow instructions below to get the update.
- Download the latest Lollipop firmware for your phone from this link. Make sure you download the firmware file directly to your mobile to eliminate the need for a PC.
- Once the downloading has completed, open your SD card folder where it downloaded using the file manager. Now move the ZIP file for Lollipop to the internal storage of the handset.
- Now turn off data on this handset and restart it.
- You should now see a notification for Lollipop upgradations. Click it to update your phone.