Motorola impressed critics with the launch of Moto X Play back in 2015. However, the company made it tough for hackers to unlock the phone as a part of its tight security measures. But if you want to Install CyanogenMod on the Motorola Moto X Play, you need to find a way around to unlock the bootloader.
This article will help you achieve this mission. We will unlock the bootloader and then install the CyanogenMod on Motorola Moto X Play.
Why install a custom ROM on Moto X Play
Before you go ahead and install a custom ROM on your phone, I’m sure you’d want to know why to replace the original ROM. The only reason to do that is to get more power out of your phone. It’s a great phone with powerful hardware and you can get a lot more out of it by simply overclocking and rooting it. For that, you need to have a custom ROM.
Some of you might want to install CyanogenMod simply because you don’t like how the Moto default ROM looks and the features that it offers. CyanogenMod is one of the hottest custom ROM out there and you’d love the new features that you can bring to your Moto X Play with this ROM.
Now let’s proceed with the tutorial by unlocking this phone. Scroll below.
Unlock Bootloader Moto X Play
To unlock the bootloader on this phone, you need to follow the steps below.
- Install fastboot and ADB on your computer.
- Now turn on USB debugging on your phone by enabling it from phone settings.
- Now go to developer options and enable OEM to unlock.
- Now connect your device to your computer using a USB cable. If you have installed ADB and fastboot, the computer should recognize your phone now.
- Open Command Prompt on your computer and enter ‘ADB reboot bootloader’ command without quotes. Hit Enter now.
- Your phone will go into fastboot mode. Now it’s time to get the unlock code. Type ‘fastboot OEM get_unlock_data’ in the command prompt and hit Enter on your keyboard. If not clear, watch a video on YouTube on how to unlock your phone.
- Now go to Motorola website and follow instructions found on this page to get your unlock code from the company.
- After you have received the code, reboot the device to unlock it.
Install Custom Recovery on
Now that the phone is unlocked, it’s time to install a custom recovery app on the phone. This will let us install a custom ROM of our choice. Proceed with the steps below.
- Download TWRP recovery for Motorola Moto X Play from this link.
- Now connect your phone to a PC using a USB cable to Install CyanogenMod on the Motorola Moto X Play.
- Open Command Prompt and type ‘ADB reboot bootloader’ to reboot your phone.
- Now your phone should restart and go to fastboot mode. Now enter the command ‘fastboot flash recovery your_recovery_image.img’ and hit Enter. Make sure you replace ‘your_recovery_image.img’ with the name of your recovery file that you downloaded earlier.
- Now the flashing process will start. Once the recovery has flashed on your phone, restart it.
Install CyanogenMod on the Motorola Moto X Play
Now it’s time to do the final step i.e. install CyanogenMod on Motorola Moto X Play. We have everything ready for this step now. Follow the easy instructions below.
- Download CyanogenMod file for your device by visiting this page to Install CyanogenMod on the Motorola Moto X Play.
- Once you have downloaded this file to your computer, move the zip file to your phone. Put it in the root folder on your SD card.
- Now put your phone into recovery mode by using the hardware key combination – ‘volume down + power key’
- Once your phone boots in recovery mode, find the option for creating a backup.
- After backing up your important data, wipe all data and factory reset your phone.
- Now click ‘install’ from recovery menu and navigate to the Cyanogen zip file that you moved to your SD card earlier.
- Follow on-screen prompts to complete the installation of CyanogenMod for Motorola Moto X Play.
(Do you want to learn more about CyanogenMod on Android: How To Install CyanogenMod 13 On Sony Xperia)
When the installation is complete, you can restart your phone and enjoy your favorite custom ROM in its full glory on Moto X Play.